I remember the first female movie character that I admired. It was Princess Leia from Star Wars. I loved how tough she was and how he got the dudes out of trouble. Growing up I use to watch old black and white TV shows where women would twist their ankle only to have a strong man have to carry her as they were chased by the bad guys. Along came Princess Leia and she helped to carry the guys. And you can’t forget Ripley from Aliens who saved everyone from aliens. Okay they basically all died but she was the one who lead the soldiers when they were too sacred to fight back.
There was Nancy Drew who had some guts too, geez how could I forget her? Harriet the Sp Spy too. For as long as I can remember I always longer for the strong woman as much as I wanted to grow up and be one! So think about who you are writing. Who is this awesome gal? Even if she has weaknesses and falls in love that sill doesn’t mean she had to be weak. Giving a character a weakness makes them human but just don’t make them weak. Then again it would be interesting to see them evolve but remember that even Bella from Twilight has her strengths that went beyond being brave enough to date a vampire.
- How To Do Princess Leia Hair (costumesupercenter.com)
- Princess Leia stands alone in this new Star Wars novel (io9.com)
- New Star Wars Novel Has Princess Leia Standing Alone… (musingsofamildmanneredman.com)
- Cool STAR WARS Fan Art – Princess Leia and R2-D2 (geektyrant.com)
- STAR WARS: EPISODE VII – Leaked Story Details? (geektyrant.com)
- The Force Is Strong With Dark Horse’s New Star Wars Comic Book Series (glued2thescreen.com)