“Never ever give up. Look inside yourself and see what you are made of.” These are the words of Diane Nyad, a woman who swam from Cuba to Key West, Florida. She swam over 100 miles and she is in her early 60’s. She tried it when she was in her 20’s and failed.
This made me start thinking about real people and their true stories. Stories based on the lives of real people who actually walked this earth can be really compelling. Why not look and find one of those stories of someone who inspires you and write an essay about it.
I know. I know. School has just started and this prompt feels more like school work than fun. This kind of essay can be one that you use when applying for scholarships.. Bits and pieces of it discussing what inspires you speaks volumes.
- Nyad first to swim to Florida from Cuba without cage (arkansasonline.com)
- Cuba-to-Florida swimmer: ‘You’re never too old’ (usatoday.com)
- Diana Nyad Completes Cuba Swim (neatorama.com)
- Diana Nyad becomes 1st to complete Cuba-to-Florida swim without a shark cage (ctvnews.ca)
- Nyad gets closer in Cuba-Florida swim (toledoblade.com)
- Diana Nyad within 2 miles of record-setting swim from Cuba to Key West (naplesnews.com)
- Nyad 1st to Swim Florida from Cuba Without Cage (washington.cbslocal.com)
- Diana Nyad Completes 110-mile Cuba to Florida Swim; Breaks Record at 64 (usa.greekreporter.com)