I came across the site,The New Pages Young Author’s Guide. It has a lot of resources for teen writers. It’s a resource for young authors to find places to submit their work!
I was investigating teen writing competitions and came across this really cool competition. It’s a poetry competition sponsored by The Critical Pass Review. The Critical Junior Poet’s Award is a competition for students between the ages of 13 and 18 and the great part is that if you win you’ll get your work published!
2017 Critical Junior Poet’s Award will receive the following:
- A $100 prize
- $20 iTunes card
- A CD of master poets reading their works
- Publication of at least one of your poems in a 2017 issue of The Critical Pass Review and a digital copy of that issue.
The deadline is March 15th. The submission period opened on November 1st but you still have time to enter. Give this one a shot! Good luck and happy writing.
For more information click on the link below.
Vegetarian Resource Group Scholarship
I am a vegetarian so I really love this one. Are you a proud vegetarian? This might seem like a uniquely niche award, but the scholarship is very real! The Vegetarian Resource Group judges applicants on their “compassion, courage, and commitment to promoting a peaceful world through a vegetarian diet/lifestyle.” If you’ve promoted vegetarianism in your school or community, you’ll likely be a strong applicant. The first place winner receives $10,000, and two runners-up each receive $5,000.
- The scholarship is open to graduating high school seniors.
- The application submission deadline is February 20, 2017.
Click on http://www.vrg.org/student/scholarship_form.pdf for more information
Write a story about this place. If you think about there are some really great stories that take place in the desert. Dune, Mad Max, and Holes all take place in the desert. In Holes that desert is the setting for a boy’s detention center. In The Maze Runner, the desert is the escape route for our beloved character who are escaping Wicked, the sadistic corporation that experiments on children.
It’s your story. Come on and tell it.
The road was dark and the willow tress hung over the road like claws reaching out to us but we continued. Fear was a luxury we didn’t have…
What is your characters running from or running to? Image if you were in this place. What would be going through your head. What would you feel? Me, I can feel my heart pound as I think about this place. It’s like holding my breathe forever as I try to calm myself. What is it like for you?
Be creative and have some fun.
Write story based on this photo. What does your character do when he/she sees the spaceship? Is your character taken by the aliens and if yes what happens next?#teen writing, # writing prompt
The Scholastics Arts and Writing Competition deadline is approaching. This contest is open to students in grades 7 to 12. Stephen King, Robert Redford and Sylvia Plath are alumni from this program so it’s a pretty big deal.
HOW TO ENTER:
- Students in grades 7–12 in the U.S. and its territories, as well as American schools abroad, are invited to submit creative and original work in any of the Awards’ 29 art and writing categories, including architecture, painting, flash fiction, poetry, printmaking and video game design.
- At each level of judging, all works are selected to move on to the next stage based on the same criteria that have represented the program since its founding in 1923: originality, technical skill, and emergence of personal vision or voice.
- Deadlines for submission vary by region for the New York area the deadline is December 15, 2016 other areas the deadlines are throughout the winter months, with National Medalists announced in March 2016.
- More information is available at http://www.artandwriting.org/guidelines.
Write a poem about this place.
I thought this was an interesting door. Tell me a story about this door. Describe it. What place does this door lead you to?
Write a story based on this sign. What happens when you go into the Miracles Room? Does it change you? What miracle would you want to happen? Tell me about the place and who is with you. How did you stumble across this place?